Asthma doesn't have to control your life. Instead, you can control your asthma by:
The goal of asthma management is to obtain total asthma control and maintain it over time. Total asthma control means:
- No daytime symptoms
- No nighttime symptoms
- Not needing to use your reliever medication (no more than 4 or more times in a week)
- No school or work absenteeism due to asthma
- Normal breathing tests
To find out how well you're managing your asthma, take our interactive quiz, How Do You Feel Today?
Should you see a lung specialist or allergist?
Talk to your doctor about a referral to a specialist if:
- You are taking asthma medications but are not getting better
- Your asthma is made worse by your work environment (occupational asthma)
- You have been admitted to the hospital for your asthma
- You are experiencing side-effects from your asthma medications